Individuals align with their goals best by first establishing a stable base and understanding about
- who they are, in terms of personality and character
- what they value, in terms what they deem valuable for themselves
- what contribution they want to make to society with their unique talents and passions
- what kind of person they want to be, in terms of a personal vision for themselves.
With this they can set their goals intentionally and with confidence.
Within this framework they can further develop their self-worth, self-respect and maintain clear boundaries.
Navigating the space between "what is" and "what is to be" is much easier this way.
Impact of ALIGNOMETRY®
Basically, you can let go. This is the impact you will notice.
Come Sunday afternoon you think of the week ahead with a smile on your face when you see the happy faces of your team in your mind’s eye. Even the usually most difficult ones seem to have relaxed and be more into their work. You look into your calendar, except for the weeks kickoff meeting and the regular jour fixes there is space where the fire fighting sessions used to be. Clean white space. Now what? You have a new problem. What to do with your time? You think, this is quite a nice problem to have and smile. You open your strategy notebook and start reading the notes you had collected over the past months. Elation sets in. At last. Quickly you jot the word “Strategy” in the white space and wait for more inspiration to come. You do not need to wait long.
You jot down your thoughts, close your notebook and go back to your family.
Beside other things, quality of life is a valid and telling KPI.
The most effective levers for transforming organizations are:
1) eliminating worry
2) boosting productivity
To do this Alignometry® focuses on
1. The importance of alignment in organizations. Alignment means synchronizing a multitude of actions across teams toward one meaningful overall goal. Alignment translates into predictability and purpose. This is energizing.
2. The relevance of measurements and feedback loops for calming, inspiring and orientating the mind. Teams know exactly how they are doing. This is rewarding. Alignment and Measurements are the 2 most common missing bolts in the organizational engine.
Here are the 7 most common remedies used by business leaders when faced with a nagging business concern:
1. Trying out new learned tactics to improve leadership and management
2. Undertaking team off-sites to improve spirits and communication
3. Influencing team members, e.g. hiring, firing, coaching, mentoring
4. Changing jobs and roles to change the context, i.e. leaving the problem
5. Hiring consultant teams for deep problem analysis and a comprehensive report
6. Trying to fix the situation yourself by small behavioural changes
7. Counting days to retirement or waiting for a solution to suddenly appear
While I do very much admire leaders who do not give up and try and try again. In the long run, however, it creates action fatigue and disenchantment in teams. Hope falters. Nothing seems to work. Why? Because business are holistic in nature. Everything is linked. No one thing on its own will do the job.
Common remedies for business concerns
Nagging business concerns drain energy. This is why they need to be addressed. They have lasting effects on life quality of the leader and on productivity. Worrying is also contagious. At some point the team catches on and starts worrying too, fixating on the leader for reassurance.
It disempowers and slows everyone down. The team goes into survival mode, holding breath. Being creative, innovative and nimble is a thing of the past. It is a vicious cycle that you will naturally want to break and also need to break.
The effect of business concerns
Here are the most common business concerns:
Will we make it through this quarter?
Are we able to stem yet another restructuring?
Will some team members give up when the going gets tough?
When will I find the time to think about our team strategy?
Is this what I need to be doing in my career?
If this sounds familiar to you, it is not a coincidence and you are not alone. I encounter this type of concern almost daily in organizations.
Typical business concerns
What to expect
Two important points up front with regard to what you can expect:
We don't believe in sacred cows. If the emperor has no clothes, we'll point that out, even if the emperor is you, directly but always kindly. We need this level of authenticity, trust, and resiliency to turn things around for the better. This type of work requires a commitment to open communication. It might not be for your setting or for you. We respect that, of course. Experience shows that implementing lasting change is otherwise not as easily possible.
We will be very open about our gut feeling and assessment for a potential project. If it is not doable or the chances for success is too low for comfort (below 30%), we will let you know. We want you to see what you are getting into and we want you to be successful in the short and long run. This can feel scary, but it will pay off.
8 reasons why
Here are 8 reasons for choosing ALIGNOMETRY®. These are established guidelines that do not get compromised.
ALIGNOMETRY® has a curated and proven 10 part process model of goal-setting, interviews, analysis, feedback, recommendation and intervention.
Measurable team alignment is guaranteed in 90 days based on agreed success measures.
A full day of diagnostic upfront leads to more precise, tailored and targeted project planning.
Best practice methods of inquiry, diagnosis and intervention are embedded in the plan. Our methods are not only effective, they are also easy to comprehend and implement.
The focus is on the easy, simple and natural and on what is right and good and makes perfect sense.
ALIGNOMETRY® is holistic, human-centric, creativity and strength-oriented. Talent will be seen and used.
Learning is ingrained in the substance of the project. Your knowledge about teams and performance management will be noticeably positively impacted by the project.
You get me as your sparring partner, not a licensee or a trainee, 5 days a week and in emergencies asap.
ALIGNOMETRY®: yes or no
Here are some guidelines for choosing or not choosing this method:
ALIGNOMETRY® builds best on a strong and relatively urgent need for a resolution for a team situation.
The need should be strong enough to propel the team forward, a „burning platform” of sorts. Typically this is:
1. A restructuring initiative, mergers, and acquisitions or change in team members or team leaders
2. Growing competition, stagnating or falling income or ROI, etc.
ALIGNOMETRY® can also be used in other less pressing but nevertheless important situations. You as the leader will want to effectively steer the organization and your teams in the right direction at all times, therefore you can choose ALIGNOMETRY® to
1. re-formulate company vision and strategy while involving all organizational leaders.
2. incorporate a significant trend like e.g. digitalization and process orientation which requires eliminating boundaries and silos and a new way of thinking.